Quick Links



Signup and Stay Informed!

Register now to receive community alerts from the City of Ridgecrest and Police Department!

Police Logs

Police Logs

FInd out how RPD is keeping our communty safe

All documents are available in pdf format. To view you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader.

City Council Media Vault

City Council Media Vault

Watch archived council meetings online

Watch council meetings from the previous year with your computer, tablet, or smartphone.  

City Hall Hours

City Hall Hours

Monday - Thursday 7:30 am - 5:30 pm

Monday - Thursday 7:30 am - 5:30 pm

Frontpage Slideshow | Copyright © 2006-2011 JoomlaWorks Ltd.

Permits, Licenses, and Information Resources


The permits and licenses you need depend on the type of business you plan to operate. This list provides a quick reference to the new-business permits required within the City of Ridgecrest.  If your business is outside the city limits or if you will be operating outside the city, other permits may be required by the county you are in.

  • Air Quality Emission Permits 

Kern County Air Pollution Control District
2700 M St., Suite 290
Bakersfield, CA 93301
(661) 862-5250

  • Alcoholic Beverage License

State of California Dept of Alcoholic Beverage Control
4800 Stockdale Hwy # 213
Bakersfield, CA 93309
(661) 395-2731

  • Building Permit/Commercial Plan Check 

City of Ridgecrest Building Dept.
100 W. California Ave.
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
(760) 499-5072

  • Business License

City of Ridgecrest Finance Dept. (Upstairs)
100 W. California Ave.
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
(760) 499-5026

     If your business is outside the City limits, in Kern County, contact the Kern County Sheriff’s Office to find out if you need a County license  (661) 391-7690.

     Other licensing requirements also pertain to certain businesses. To find out if your type of business requires either a state license or certification, contact the State Board of Consumer Affairs, (800) 952-5210 or (916) 445-1254 (TDD:  (916) 322-1700.

     You must fill out an I-9 form (verification of an employee’s eligibility to work in the United States) within three days of the employee’s hire date. If you have access to the World Wide Web, you can download the form from the Department of Justice Immigration and Naturalization Service, http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis.

  • Environmental Determination

City of Ridgecrest Community and Economic Development Dept.
100 W. California Ave.
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
(760) 499-5062

  • Fictitious Business Name 

Fictitious Business Filing Division
1115 Truxtun Ave., 2nd floor
Bakersfield  CA  93301
(800) 552-5376
County Clerk of Kern County
1115 Truxtun Ave
Bakersfield, CA 93301-4639

  • Food-Related Business Plan Check
  • Hazardous Materials, Including Restaurant Requirements
  • Health Permit

Kern County Environmental Health Services Dept. (661) 862-8700
2700 M. St., Ste. 300
Bakersfield  CA  93301
(800) 862-8700

400 N. China Lake Blvd.
Ridgecrest, CA  93555  
(760) 384-5838 (Tues., Wed., Thurs. mornings)


  • Home Occupation Permit

City of Ridgecrest Community and Economic Development Dept.
100 W. California Ave
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
(760) 499-5062

  • Incorporation and Trademark Registration

Secretary of State’s Office
1500 11th Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 653-6814

     Press 1 for info on corporations; press 3 for info on partnerships, limited-liability corporations, or trade and service marks

Secretary of State's Office, Trademark Unit
1500 11th Street, Room 345
Sacramento, CA 98581
(916) 653-4984

  • Sewer Connection 

City of Ridgecrest Building Dept.
100 W. California Ave
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
(760) 499-5071 

  • Sign Permit

City of Ridgecrest Community and Economic Development Dept.
100 W. California Ave.
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
(760) 499-5062

  • Taxes

Income Taxes

Federal Income Tax

Internal Revenue Service
4330 Watt Avenue
Sacramento, 95814
fax (703) 368-9694

Tax Questions: (800) 829-1040 or (800) 829-4059 for TTY/TDD users

Forms and Publications: (800) 829-3676 or (800) 829-4059, TTY/TDD

State Income Tax

Franchise Tax Board
8745 Folsom Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95814
(800) 852-5711

Payroll Taxes

Federal Payroll Taxes

Internal Revenue Service
4330 Watt Avenue
Sacramento, 95814 
fax (703) 368-9694


Business Tax Questions including new Employer ID: 800-829-4933  
General Tax Questions:  (800) 829-1040 or (800) 829-4059 for TTY/TDD users
Forms and Publications: (800) 829-3676 or (800) 829-4059, TTY/TDD

State Payroll Taxes

State of California, EDD Employment Tax Office
1800 30th Street, Suite 390
Bakersfield, CA 93301

Tax Info, address changes, Forms 888-745-3886

Register for EDD Employer Account Number
(916) 654-7041

Sales Tax

Seller’s Permit/Sales and Use Tax Permit

State Board of Equalization
PO Box 942879
(800) 400-7115
Sacramento, CA 94279-0001   www.boe.ca.gov 

  • Toxic & Hazardous Materials Handling 

State Environmental Protection Agency, Dept. of Toxic Substances Control
8800 Cal Center Drive
Sacramento, CA 95826 
(916) 255-3545

  • Underground Storage Tanks 

Kern County Environmental Health Dept., Hazmat Div.
2700 M Street, Suite 300
Bakersfield, CA 93301
(800) 552-5376
(661) 862-8700

  • Water

Indian Wells Valley Water District
500 W. Ridgecrest Blvd.
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
(760) 375-5086

  • Weights & Measures 

Kern County Weights & Measures Dept.
1116 E. California Ave
Bakersfield, CA 93307
fax 661-324-0668
(661) 868-6300

  • Worker's Compensation 

State Division of Worker’s Compensation

Information and Assistance Unit
1800 30th St., Suite 100
Bakersfield, CA 93301
(661) 395-2723
(661) 395-2514

  • Zoning Check and Zoning/Land Subdivision Special Permits 

City of Ridgecrest Community and Economic Development Dept.
100 W. California Ave.
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
(760) 499-5062

Local Assistance  

  • City of Ridgecrest Community and Economic Development Department 

     The Ridgecrest Community and Economic Development Department is responsible for developing programs and policies to support small businesses and to retain and recruit major employers. The staff can provide information about demographics, site location and permit assistance, and financial and technical resources.

100 W. California Ave.
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
(760) 499-5062

  • Weill Institute Small Business Development Center

     The Weill Institute, located in the Ridgecrest Business Development Center, is an excellent first stop for anyone starting a small business. The center, which also helps existing small businesses, provides business counseling, publications, and education. The center can help with development of a business plan, preparation of loan applications, market analysis, and more. The center provides client counseling services at no charge, as well as publications and workshops, which are either free or at low cost. 

Call the Ridgecrest Chamber of Commerce to setup an appointment
(760) 375-8331
128 B East California Ave
Ridgecrest, CA 93555

  • Ridgecrest Chamber of Commerce

     The Chamber is a membership organization that works to create a positive business environment in Ridgecrest and in California.  Many of the forms and applications needed by business are available at the Chamber office and Chamber members help each other to work out issues affecting the business community.  We often co-sponsor workshops and business seminars, and we offer many opportunities to network and get to know other people in business.

128 B East California Ave.
Ridgecrest, CA  93555 
(760) 375-8331
(760) 375-0365 (fax)

  • State and County Online Resources

     Several state and county agencies have Websites designed to help people starting new businesses. Because information found on the Web may be confusing or outdated, the best way to use online resources is as a pointer to more direct information. In some cases, you can download forms you need.

Pertinent Websites include the following:

California State Board of Equalization, www.boe.ca.gov. This site includes information on taxes, laws, and regulations of direct interest to businesses. Because the level of detail given on the site makes many of the topics confusing for the average user, this is a good site to use mainly to locate further sources of information.

California Business Portal, www.sos.ca.gov/business/. This Website of the California Secretary of State contains easily navigable links to help you start and file a business entity in the State of California. In addition, information is available on statutorily required filings, trademarks, service marks, types of business entities, and more.

California Permit Assistance, www.calgold.ca.gov. Online permit assistance is available, but unless you know the specific information you are looking for, phone calls to the various permitting agencies given above are likely to be more useful.

Kern County Business, www.co.kern.ca.us/business.asp. Kern County’s official site contains information on several aspects of doing business with the county.

Resources of the U.S. Government

  • U.S. Government Printing Office

     Many publications on business management and other related topics are available from the Government Printing Office (GPO). The nearest GPO bookstore is at the address given below. The hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday-Friday except federal holidays. You can request a “Subject Bibliography" by writing to Government Printing Office, Superintendent of Documents, Washington, DC 20402-9328.

Government Printing Office
Arco Plaza, Level C, 505 S. Flower Street 
Los Angeles, CA 90071-2181
(213) 239-9844

  • U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) 

     The SBA offers an extensive selection of information on most business management topics, from starting a business to exporting your products. The 78-page Handbook for Small Business is a good place to get started. You can download the handbook or any of the other SBA publications from here. If you don’t have access to the World Wide Web, call or write SBA’s Fresno Office (address information given above) to ask for the handbook or to obtain other assistance.

     SBA offers training and educational programs, counseling services, financial programs and contract assistance. Ask about Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE), a national organization sponsored by SBA of over 13,000 volunteer business executives who provide free counseling, workshops and seminars to prospective and existing owners and managers of small businesses.

For more information about SBA business development programs and services, contact:

2719 North Air Fresno Drive, Suite 200
Fresno, CA 93727
(559) 487-5791

You can also call the SBA Small Business Answer Desk at (800) U-ASK-SBA (827-5722).

  • Other Government Resources

     Many other federal agencies offer free or inexpensive publications of interest to small businesses. Below is a selected list of government agencies that offer publications and other services to small businesses. 

     Depending on the goods or services you offer, each of these entities might also be a potential customer. Other federal agencies, such as the U.S. Department of Education, the Social Security Administration, the Veterans Administration, the Department of the Interior, and the Department of Defense, are major players in the business world.

  • Consumer Information Center (CIC) 

P.O. Box 100
Pueblo, CO 81002

Offers a consumer information catalog of federal publications.

  • Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) 

Publications Request
Washington, DC 20207
Offers guidelines for product safety requirements

  • National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information 

(800) 729-6686

Provides pamphlets and resource materials on substance abuse.

  • National Institute for Drug Abuse Hotline

(800) 662-4357

Provides information on preventing substance abuse in the workplace.

  • U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) 

12th Street and Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20250

Publications on selling to the USDA. Publications and programs on entrepreneurship available through county extension offices nationwide.

  • U.S. Department of Commerce – Office of Business Liaison 

14th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW
Room 5898C
Washington, DC 20230

Through the Business Assistance Center, provides listings of business opportunities available in the federal government. Also refers businesses to programs and services within the department or in other federal agencies.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services – Public Health Service 

  • Alcohol, Drug Abuse and Mental Health Administration 

5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD 20857
Drug-Free Workplace Helpline: (800) 843-4971

Provides information on employee assistance programs.

U.S. Department of Labor -Employment Standards Administration 

200 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20210

Offers publications on compliance with labor laws.

U.S. Department of the Treasury -Internal Revenue Service (IRS) 

P.O. Box 25866
Richmond, VA 23260
(800) 424-3676

Offers information on tax requirements for small businesses.

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) 

  • Small Business Ombudsman (Mail Code 2131) Room 3423

401 M Street, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20460
(800) 368-5888  or 202-260-1211

Offers more than 100 publications designed to help small businesses understand how to comply with EPA regulations.

U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 

  • Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition

200 C Street, SW
Washington, DC 20204

Packaging and labeling requirements for food and food-related products.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Council Members

Breeden Acton  Sanders
Thomas   Mower 

Upcoming Events

°F | °C
Ridgecrest, CA
Humidity: 13%
10 mph
53 | 84
56 | 89
Mostly Sunny
57 | 93

Employee Login