Where can I take my recyclables?
What Can I Recycle at City Hall?
City Hall will accept the following items from residents for recycling. These recycling programs have been set up in partnership with local charities/fund raising groups:
What about Construction & Demolition Debris?
The City of Ridgecrest is required by State Law to divert a minimum of 50% of its waste from landfills. Many materials generated from C&D projects can be successfully diverted through recycling or reuse. Requiring C&D debris recycling as a condition of building permits helps the City to comply with State Law. The City requires 100% of inert solids and at least 50% (by weight) of the remaining C&D debris be diverted from the landfill for project types listed below. A waste management plan (format provided) must be submitted to the Building Official prior to the issuance of a building permit. Additionally, to obtain final approval for the project, the applicant must document CALGreen compliance within 30 days of project completion by submitting all recycling/disposal facility receipts.
To help meet this requirement, the City has a franchise agreement for solid waste handling and recycling with Waste Management. WM can assist applicants in diverting C&D material through construction and demolition dumpster services in the City limits of Ridgecrest. You can reach them at (888) 266-7511, Option 4, for Commercial Services.
Tips to Manage C&D Material at the Job Site:
· Determine recycling, salvage, reuse and disposal options before the job begins.
· Consider deconstruction instead of mechanical demolition.
· Reuse materials such as fixtures and doors.
· Donate materials that can be reused to charities or nonprofit agencies.
· Educate contractors regarding your waste management plan.
· Clearly identify recycling areas with large signs.
· Place recycling bins in areas that will minimize misuse or contamination by the employees and the public.
· Place advertisements in local newspapers announcing salvageable & reusable materials for sale or donation.