Building & Equipment Permits

Because of the city’s responsibility for public safety, new businesses are required to have many types of permits. Before you begin any remodeling or even simple rearranging (of signs, planters, etc.), call the City of Ridgecrest Building Inspection Division to find out what permits are necessary, what those permits will cost, and what procedures to follow to obtain them.

Who to Contact

For building, electrical, and plumbing permits:
City of Ridgecrest Building Inspection Division
100 W California Avenue
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
Phone: 760-499-5072

For fire permits and information:
Kern County Fire Department
Phone: 760-375-8466

Requirements for Fire Safety

Ask the Fire Department about requirements for fire extinguishers, fire exits, and storage for flammable materials.

Requirements from the Building Inspection Division

If you plan to renovate or use existing equipment, talk to the Building Inspection Division before you lease space or begin conducting business. Find out about any hidden requirements, such as those involving bringing the building up to code.

You don’t want to be like the business owner who wanted to upgrade a sink, only to learn that the authorities were requiring new flooring, electrical changes, and an entrance for the handicapped! Don’t assume that because your predecessor used existing equipment, you can too. City and/or county officials may require upgrades before they issue occupancy permits.